Overall Score: 9/10
Release Year: 2016
Date I First Heard: 2016-12-30
Genre: Djent, Heavy Metal
First impression (crossfade):
They changed a few notes in "Bad Apple!!", and I'm not sure how I feel about it.
Overall, the crossfade reminds me of Le Grimoire De reve, which I wasn't very fond of,
but the more I listen to this crossfade, the more I like it. Interesting song choices, I'm excited for Hartmann's Youkai Girl.
What I Liked:
-Amazing solos (as usual).
-Great uses of odd times signatures.
-Great titles (mostly, I'm looking at you "Funk to Funky").
-Very melody-heavy, rather than rhythm heavy, like BEGIERDE DES ZAUBERER and Le Grimoire De reve.
-The weird glitch stuff in "Bad Apple!!" and scattered through the rest.
-The solo (and pretty much all of) "Extend Ash" (but "Bad Apple!!" is still probably the best)
-Verse of "Fall of Fall"
What I Disliked:
-A few forgettable parts
-A few weird notes in "Bad Apple!!"
-I think they could have done more with "Hartmann's Youkai Girl"
In short: Amazing. Best work since "Offering to the Sukhavati", but heavier. It sounds very modern because of the glitchy stuff scattered around.
Favourite track: Tough choice. It's tied between all of the first three, but if I had to say, it would probably be "Bad Apple!! ～ Death of A Bad Apple".
1. Bad Apple!! ～ Death of A Bad Apple (Original: Bad Apple!!)
2. エクステンドアッシュ ～ Funk to Funky (": エクステンドアッシュ ～ 蓬莱人 [Extend Ash ~ Hourai Victim])
3. フォールオブフォール ～ The Door Into Summer (": フォールオブフォール ～ 秋めく滝 [Fall of Fall ~ Autumnal Waterfall])
4. ほおずきみたいに紅い魂 ～ Night of the Flesh Eaters (": ほおずきみたいに紅い魂 [A Soul as Red as a Ground Cherry])
5. ハルトマンの妖怪少女 ～ Todestrieb und Lebenstrieb (": ハルトマンの妖怪少女 [Hartmann's Youkai Girl])
Sources: Official website and Touhou Wiki
Crossfade (it's muted, but you can unmute it):